Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Why Interviewing Is A Total Rush

Naomi interviewing one of her childhood idols, skater Dorothy Hamill

I just knocked off three interviews this morning at the Saint Louis Art Museum. These were not any run of the mill interviews because SLAM (the Saint Louis Art Museum) is one of the most admired institutions in St. Louis.

My interviews were with: the curator of American art, Andrew Walker; African-American abstract artist John Rozelle; African-American abstract artist Phillip Hampton.

So I find myself at this highly esteemed institution, where I have gone since I was a tiny, tiny, kid, & I am about to interview a curator. And two artists. Mind you, I know nothing about what a curator does. I know nothing about abstract art. Except that a curator curates art & abstract art is hard to figure out because it's abstract. Was I a bit stressed & nervous this morning? Absolutely.

Yet I feel that I am completely in my element when I am in situations like this. I love "cramming" before interviews, trying to read a little about my interview subject, their art (or whatever they do) and trying like crazy to remember everyone’s' names & titles. All of that happens before I even get to the interview.

Once I'm there, it's time to take notes if there's a talk, concert, whatever, so I get a few ideas of what to ask. Then, I have to quickly review the names, titles, and the questions I've just written down. Then, I step in front of the camera. That's where the real fun begins.

I shook like a leaf my first 4 months in front of the camera. I had to keep asking myself WHY I persisted in doing something that terrified me. But I'm happy I persevered. I love being in front of the camera. This is not because I love to see myself on film. I am so happy the video player on CultureSurfer is small & have so much sympathy for people who are on HDTV.

But it's so much fun to make a connection (as quickly as possible) with my interview subject, hopefully put him or her at ease (I can completely understand why people loathe media-many reporters are really nasty!), and come up with one really thought-provoking, unique, or funny question per interview, usually at the very end. I know I've got a good interview when I ask that final question & get a slight smile or actually get the response "No one has ever asked me that before." But then there are so many elements that are out of my control.

Like background noise. The gallery at the art museum was full of people talking this morning. And I mean it was loud. I had to ignore it. I've had water pour down on my head during an interview. Ignored it. I've had friends walk by & wave at me during interviews. I ignore it. Doors slam. I ignore the noise. I like to boast that if there were an earthquake during an interview, I'd keep going. (Hope I never get the chance to find out.) All of this is nerve-wracking, but it's the challenge to stay focused that I like.

And even if everything is going great, I have to watch my interview subject to make sure he/she isn't moving out of frame (this has happened), check to make sure the microphone switch is actually on (I've lost interivews due to the mic being off), keep track of the time, focus on what the person is saying, all while trying to come up with a new question if the person just answered a question I was going to ask, or just trying to remember what the next question was. And there are times when I totally, utterly blank out on the next question. I am not religious, but this is a time when I pray. And it works. Always. Even though sometimes it takes what seems like hours for the question to come back, it always comes back. So why do I love doing this?

I get to meet all kinds of fascinating, inspiring, talented, amazing people from all walks of life, from all parts of the world, that I'd not otherwise have the excuse to meet. My only regret about interviewing is that I'd like to spend more time with just about every person I meet. But then again, I do have my own life to lead.

No comments: