Wednesday, January 23, 2008

New Videos for The Week of January 20, 2008

The Baghdad Ballet
John Fergusan of the American Voices Project has graciously given me the go ahead to post the organization’s videos on CultureSurfer. This is one of the many videos shot at the Unity Academy this past summer in Iraq. I hope these videos will break down some of your preconceptions of Iraq (this is what has happened to me). I found out about American Voices from Marc Thayer who does community outreach for the St. Louis Symphony. He took part in the Academy last summer & gave me a disc of photos he shot in Erbil, Iraq, where the Academy took place. Will let you know when I get the time to get his pics online.

Hand Jive
Also part of the Iraq Unity Academy. These kids are so cute! Love the shades.

I know You Know
I found the Gods of Blitz on someone’s MySpace page (can’t remember whom) and immediately fell in love with this song, that they gave me persmission to put on CultureSurfer. I guess I love it so much because it reminds me of the cool music I used to listen to in the 80’s. These guys are out of Berlin. Check out their video & let me know what you think.

Bryan Cunningham
Bryan was somewhat camera-shy, so that explains why this piece is a bit short. He is really sweet/hip/modest & a very talented, original artist. I filmed this video at the St. Louis Art Fair last summer, where Bryan won an awards. I believe Bryan lives in Michigan.

Impossible
Jenny McKay is not Irish but Swiss. She lives in Zurich where she attends college & is working on building up a singing career. I met Jen 4 years ago when she came to St. Louis to study English, back when I was still teaching. Jen is super bright (studying media now, I believe, & has a great command of English). She has a way of being very cute (she loves pink) but definitely has an edge to her. Thanks to messenger, we’ve remained close over the years & it’s been fun watching her “grow up.” I like to call her “Swiss Miss” after the hot chocolate & pudding brand.

John Sayles/Maggie Renzi
Director John Sayles and his life-partner, producer Maggie Renzi previewed their new movie “Honeydripper” during the 16th Annual AT&T St. Louis International Film Festival. This is the 3rd year I’ve been on the advisory board of the festival to help pull ethnic communities in to see the movies and, I must say, it was totally cool this year. I got to interview several directors right after having seen their movies.

John Sayles is absolutely huge for his age and I don’t mean in a World’s Biggest Loser way but in more of a Popeye kind of way. The guy does talk a lot but then again, he has a lot to talk about. Check out Parts One and Two of the conversation.

The interview with “Honeydripper” star Gary Clark, Jr. (he’s adorable, talented, & super tall) and the other director interviews as well as movie trailers can be found here. More director interviews coming online from the festival over the next few months.

Night Owl
I found Mark Forman via Twitter.com, checked out his site, & was given permission to take some of his interesting videos about his hometown of Taichung, Taiwan. He’s lived there over 20 years, so he’s got an interesting take on the culture.

Cyclist Danny Pate at the Stage 5 Press Conference of the Tour of Missouri
This is the last of about 40 videos we shot at the first annual Tour of Missouri pro cycling race back in September. This race is being taken seriously as one of the top 3 or 4 races in the US. Of interest to culture surfers will be the behind the scenes videos we shot of the Mexican team, team Tecos. The videos are bilingual & the Team Tecos car footage video has been a hit.

Watch all of the Tour of MO videos here.

No comments: