Thursday, November 13, 2008

The 17th Annual St. Louis International Film Festival


This unbelievably huge, exciting, and exhausting film festival starts tonight, with Humboldt County opening the festival at the Tivoli Theater. The directors will be there & there will be a bunch of super excited film addicts who show up every year for this event. I think there are something like 275
:yikes: films being shown in 10 days, including the shorts. There are indie films, foreign films, and documentaries. Numerous sidebars (basically mini festivals) include:

AFI PROJECT: 20/20
African/African-American Sidebar
Animation Sidebar
A sampling of classic cinematic works.
Art and Music Sidebar
Asian Sidebar
Cinema for Students
Eastern European Sidebar
Environmental Sidebar
Family Sidebar
Film Noir Sidebar
FilmTracker New Filmmakers Forum
French Sidebar
Global Lens 2008
Indie-Fest
Interfaith Sidebar

I went through the schedule & narrowed it down to 24 movies, but of course I'll only be able to make a fraction of those movies. My goal is to film 12 directors (q&a sessions or interviews), so that I can upload one director interview per month until the next film festival. We're giving Dan, our photographer, our 2nd video camera so that we can split up & hopefully cover more directors.

For someone like me who has loved movies since they became such a huge part of my life back in high school, this is like putting me in a chocolate store & giving me free reign.

No comments: